do follow forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Benefitting From Press Releases
Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 11:01 pm by dexterlinn

» Should I create a blog for SEO purposes?
Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 pm by dexterlinn

» What is the necessity of SEO?
Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 pm by dexterlinn

» Strategy for SEO 2013
Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 pm by dexterlinn

» Why google ?
Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 11:18 pm by dexterlinn

» Get indexed fast
Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 11:16 pm by dexterlinn

» Forum list
Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 11:14 pm by dexterlinn

» Hosting Thread
Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 pm by dexterlinn

» Best SEO and Web Design Company
Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 7:09 am by ravneet79

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs

2 posters

Go down

Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs Empty Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs

Post  jomack Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:53 pm

My visit to Published by Westview proved to be a great learning experience. While I'm accustomed to how the publishing industry operates, I did not know much about the printers that publishers work with.

Lightning Source, In (LSI) is probably the most popular printer for books. Having LSI print a book means automatic distribution through Ingram. That doesn't mean your books will be on the shelves at your local bookstore, but it does mean that the store can order your book for a client because it will be listed in the Ingram catalog. It also means your book will be available through Amazon.com. This is something you may or may not want. Let me explain.

During the first printing of the Sid Series, I discovered that color pages are about three times more expensive to print than black and white pages. But, I couldn't offer a children's picture book and not have it in color. The heavier, glossy paper I used for the cover cost extra and so did having them stapled in the center. Had I selected a non-standard size for my book, that would have cost more too. There were about eighteen to twenty pages in each book, so my first print cost me about $6 per book. I could not justify selling such a small book for more than $7, so I ended up losing money on them by the time I paid tax and shipping. I kept the stock in my office closet. Because these books were self-published, I had to manually create mailing labels and stuff envelopes whenever a customer placed an order. The books were only available on my Web site.

When I sold out of the first print run, I did not reorder because I had written another nine books for the series by then and I couldn't afford individual printing of all twelve books. So, I offered the stories as e-books and put the project on hold until I could get all of the stories illustrated.

Now that I nearly have all of the stories illustrated, I've decided to put all twelve stories into one print book and republish them. I don't want to self-publish because I don't want to handle distribution this time. I thought I would go with a publish-on-demand company so the books could be listed in Ingram's catalog.

jomack

Back to top Go down

Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs Empty Re: Printing and Publishing Children's Books - Counting the Costs

Post  macknamy Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Lightning Source, (LSI) is probably the most popular books of the printer. LSI print a book by means of automatic distribution through Ingram.

macknamy

Back to top Go down